Friday, July 30, 2010

New day, new look.

Definitely on the mend. I think Thursday was the low point in my blood cell counts. This round felt a little worse than the last, possibly due to the increased Cisplatin dose that I got last Monday (from 140 to 170 ml).

The nausea has been worse, overall. Today I was actually woken up by nausea (not recommended, if you can avoid it) but have felt otherwise much more like myself. The mental fog I was in yesterday --seeming dangerously close to black-out level if I'd sit up too quickly -- is mostly gone today. I felt queasy and motion sick just from nodding in agreement yesterday.

The key, as everyone keeps telling me, is in the eating. It keeps the nausea away and keeps the energy up. But when nothing sounds good, and in fact every food you can think of seems a little stomach-turning, it's a real conscious effort to eat. I've always been blessed/cursed with a decent appetite, so this part of it is very new and strange to me.

JL shaved my head last night. I was stressed about the transition and she admitted that it was helpful for her to be a part of it as well. It was and is shocking to see myself in the mirror still.

The process of shaving ones head actually takes awhile, involving at least 3 steps. First a clipper is used to get down to a military buzz cut length, but those only get it so short. From there, shaving cream and a sharp facial razor got it down to almost nothing, but several passes were needed. Finally my new electric razor finished the job. It was JL's first head shaving, and she did great. I still have the same number of ears that I started with, and no nicks or cuts at all.

I've been sleeping oddly, which is about the only way that I can find to describe it. I'll wake up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, certain that I've been asleep for 6 hours or more, only to find that it's only been 50 minutes or so. I wake up 5 or 6 times during the night but sleep very deeply when I do sleep. This without sleep aids. Though I might get back on them tonight.

Hopeful that the recovery will continue nicely, and that the next chemo treatment (scheduled for Monday) is easier.


Eclector2 said...

I like knowing that JL shaved your head for you. It makes me happy that you did it together.

Speaking of shocking, I remember a few times that you father (--D) shaved off his beard without telling me and how startling it was to see him with a naked face.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, I had forgotten about those little surprises. Not sure why I made them into surprises, though. There can't have been any good reason.

Anyway, Michael, I am glad that you are handling it so well. That has got to be tough, waking up so often, as well as the nausea. Wish I could offer some helpful fatherly advice, but there doesn't seem to be any.

So -- that isn't a soul-patch wig, then, but the same true original one.


Anonymous said...

You are really going through it, friend. Nausea is an awful experience. I was pretty much nauseous all through pregnancy and it can be quite disabling. It is really tricky to eat when you're not hungry. During my nausea spells I relied a lot on force-feeding myself Powerbars. Again, maybe the illegal green could help. Here in CA it's easy to get a prescription for the stuff if you have need.
What a trip to wake up after 50 minutes and to feel like you slept for hours already!!

Be well, Mister Mike

Post a Comment