Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mayo Results: More Chemo.

After two days of grueling and needlessly painful tests, persistent scheduling mixups, unexpected allergic reactions, too little sleep, early mornings and hours spent waiting for (and talking to) doctors... we have finally gotten some concrete information.

Basically, the cancer is "progressing" (growing) and shows signs of appearance in new areas in the lung and in the lymph nodes in the abdomen. Chemotherapy will start up again, most likely next week. 

That the cancer isn't gone is not surprising. That the cancer is spreading is highly disappointing, though not entirely unexpected for my type of cancer. That its growing to the rate where I will have to start a new, no-end-in-sight chemo series -- next week -- on a new and most-likely-harsher chemo drug -- really sucks.

So much for a last fun trip with Jen while I'm feeling at my best before chemo begins again. I thought I'd have at least a months' notice. Not 6 days.

This also answers the earlier school dilemma: I'll drop both classes. I don't know anything about this new chemo drug or how it will affect me, and I just can't risk it.

I'm sure I'll have more soon to say about this trip and the other information we learned there about the back, etc. But right now I'm far too fried to clearly process it all. Though writing it down will be good. Hopefully in a few days at the outside.




12 comments:

Kevin said...

Not a good week.

Dave Matheny said...

Aw, just go snuggle up your dog. She will understand. . . . I'm looking forward to seeing you (and her) next week.

Eclector2 said...

I am so sorry Michael, this is not what we hoped to hear. I hope that you get some rest and we can talk tomorrow. I love you.
Mom

Aimee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aimee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aimee said...

What Kelly said. I am beyond sad to hear this news. Now I'm just plain angry. Let me know if you have time and energy for a hound playdate. I'm working from home, so I can make just about any time work.

(and apparently I'm a retard when it comes to commenting here. Sorry.)

Fat Diva In Motion said...

Michael...I am so sorry boo to this news....i no longer accept January and its ill tidings.

Always sending you love and healing...here for you however you want

Anne-Marie said...

Oh Michael. I will be sending Xtra Strong Prayers for you. You have a lovely lady and now a lovely puppy who can help ease your burdens. We all love you very much and are rooting for you.

Jodyth said...

Hard news. You are my friend and you have my love.

Wendy said...

This news sucks. So sorry. Hug Boo, process, kiss Jen, process, know you are loved.

Wendy

John Slade said...

Suxxors. Plus Auntie. Big hugs.

Laura said...

Bad month...so sorry to hear you won't get a break and can't restart your studies. It can be so theraputic to get immersed in something else beside the health issues for awhile. I always have you in my heart and think of you often...love.

Post a Comment