Thursday, January 31, 2013

Rocket Ship, Oh Rocket Ship

One year ago today, Michael, wrote the rough draft for the lyrics of the song "Rocket Ship," below. He recorded it the next day and made a movie of himself playing it a few days later. I'd like to post the movie to UTube, with Kevin's help. It seems like an proper anniversary for the song. It is a heart breaker, but a great song. It speaks to his strong will to fight and to win his battle, "If I can't beat then I'll out-run it." Would that he could have.



I found this image with the music. It is the Bracket Park Rocket Ship, as it is today. It has been moved from its original location, enhanced and is now an art object, but it was originally part of the children's playground at Bracket Park, in south Minneapolis.

In 1970, Michael's father and I looked at and decided to buy a house in the Seward Neighborhood. We took Michael, age 3, and Kevin, age 4, to see the new house, which they loved, and on our way back to our rental in Bloomington, we drove past this rocket. We stopped and made our two children very happy by letting them explore it for what seemed like hours. It seemed a good omen that the home and the neighborhood would be a good place for children to grow up in. And it was.

Rocket Ship

©Michael Matheny @1/31/12
Key of D (Mandola capoed in 2)

            D                       G         D
Rocket-ship, rocket-ship

        G                             D       A
Just close the hatch and hit the switch

D                            G        D
Rocket-ship OH, rocket ship

G                       D              A
Carry me away, fly me a-way

D                            G        D
Rocket-ship, rocket ship

                G    A    D
Take me far, far a-way

(leads?)

(X) (X) (X) (X)  -  -  -

D                             G           D      
Out past Mars, and out past Ju-pi-ter
D                                A          D
Faster than light and gaining speed
D                                G        D
If I can’t beat it then I’ll out-run it  ^
D                         A              D
I’ll go so fast, it can’t catch me

I’ll fly round the earth, Just like Superman
Spin it ‘round, turn back time
Rocket-ship OH, rocket-ship
Send me to a better time

They say I can’t change, what I can’t change
What’s done is done and set in stone
(But if)  I can go back, I’ll make them see   ^
I’ll grab a chisel, and shatter that stone

(Lead (S))

Chorus
  
Bridge
                    G     C           A
But what if I -- came --- back (…)
                   G        C      A
And it was all…  the… same (…)
                  G         C    A
I couldn’t make it go away (…)

                  G
Would you still
                  F#m (?)
Would you still
                    A
Would you still (…)
        D
love me

Chorus

(Possible Acapella chorus)

Possible 3rd Chorus


End:  (X) (X) (X) (X)  -  -  -

P.S. I shared this with LoJo Russo today. She made me aware of the significance of the date. Thank you for that, LoJo, and for your love and support. She too, thought that we could handle seeing this now, I truly hope so. He changed the lyrics somewhat in the movie, making it even more poignant. I hope it is a good thing for all of you to see and hear him and remember how much we miss him. I'd love to hear your comments.

Posted by Marilyn (eclector2), Michael's Mom


1 comments:

Dave Matheny said...

Funny but I don't remember any of that about stopping at the park, rocket ship, and all.
Good to learn that, though.

--Michael's father

Post a Comment